Wednesday, November 2, 2011

During those days, as you know, Sri Aurobindo used to smoke cigars. The empty boxes were being disposed of in the market, through me. Each time, however, I had a temptation to retain the boxes for myself and give the market price to the Mother but I always managed to resist the desire.
One day Mother brought an old timepiece from Sri Aurobindo's room and gave it to me to be disposed of at the
watch repairer's at whatever price he offered. Dutifully I took the timepiece to the shop and he offered a rupee and a quarter or perhaps two rupees and odd. I could not bring myself to part with the timepiece, brought it back and told Mother what had happened.
Can I keep this ? I asked her with trepidation.

She smiled beautifully. "All right", she said, but took back the timepiece with her.

Imagine my surprise when the next morning Sri Aurobindo smiled, held the timepiece in his hand and asked me: Champaklal, you want the clock ?

And he placed it in my hands.



Champaklal

No comments:

Post a Comment